The Town Clerk serves as ….
Public Information Officer
- Responds to inquiries from the general public, frequently serving as facilitator with other departments, providing knowledge and assistance in a fair and impartial manner to all the residents.
- Hands out and collects payment for electrical, gas and plumbing permits, notifies inspectors, turns funds over to the treasurer.
- Sends out email blasts when the public needs to be informed of upcoming events, road closings, etc.
- Will be the contact person for the manual registration of residents for the CodeRed system.
Public Records Officer
- Administers the oath of office to all elected and appointed members of local committees and boards and ensures that all elected and appointed officials are informed of the State's Open Meeting and Conflict of Interest Laws.
- Posts meetings of all government bodies in accordance with the Open Meeting Law, receives and follows up on complaints of violations to the Open Meeting Law.
- Provides access to public records in compliance with State Public Records Law and corresponding regulations.
- Provides certified copies of vital records and conducts or assists with genealogical research for members of the public, and is responsible for maintenance, disposition, and preservation of municipal archival records and materials.
- Maintains records of adopted municipal codes, local bylaws, oaths of office, resignations and appointments, petitions, publications, and meeting minutes.
- Submits bylaws and zoning ordinances to Attorney General for approval. Publishes the approvals when received.
Registrar of Vital Statistics
- Registers all vital events (births, deaths and marriages) occurring within the community and those events occurring elsewhere to local residents.
- Records and preserves original birth, marriage, and death records providing the basis for the Commonwealth's central vital registration system.
Chief Election Official
- Oversees polling places, election officers, and the general conduct of all elections.
- Directs preparation of ballots, polling places, voting equipment, voting lists, administers campaign finance laws, certifies nomination papers and initiative petitions, and serves on the local Board of Registers.
- Supervises voter registration and absentee balloting; prepares records and reports official election results to the Secretary of State of the Commonwealth.
- Conducts the annual town census, prepares the street list of residents and school list, and furnishes the jury list to the Office of the Jury Commissioner.
- Records and certifies all official actions of the Town, including town meeting legislation and appropriations, signs all notes for borrowing, and keeps the Town Seal.
- Receives and records all ZBA applications and Planning Board hearing requests. Records the decisions of the hearings or certifies the board’s failure to act.
- Issues state licenses and permits: including marriage licenses, and permits for raffles and bazaars.
- Issues local licenses, permits, and certifications including burial permits, business certificates and dog licenses.
- Receives and records payment for non-criminal offences in town, including violations of parking, noise, marihuana and animal control laws and turns the funds over to the treasurer.